Thursday, November 18, 2010

Gracious Goodbye...

Been googling on what were those best words for retirement.
What does retirement means?
Old age? The end of a workaholic? or starting of another phase of life?
Personally? I preferred to believe that is time to spend all the money I have, wisely, and do something that i always wanted to, while i still can.
It was not a very good day with the sudden black out in IMU.
Things became slightly out of control, and the organizer started to freak out on whether the long planned event can be carried out smoothly....and then ... God just heard our prayers when He need to ~
Lights ON, air cond ON....
It was a long awaited day for Dr Mak.
Spending more than half of his life in education field, he honouredly retired at age of 70.
It was a day with lotsa wishes, presents and happiness.
Guests walked in with smile...
Dr Mak walked in with smile too ~
The event started off with a short video clip and brief opening by our Miss Mcee..
Followed by Prof PP's gratitude to Dr Mak and also a humour speech by Prof Ong Kok Hai..
Then, Dr Mak took the Mic..
It was hard for him to be on stage facing all of his old mates, old buddies, and had to farewell them, with smile but not tears....I knew he tried to hold back his tears.

"This morning, there's a sudden black out in IMU, then i thought that maybe IMU dun wan me to leave...but then suddenly the light on back...then i think ...may be is really time for me to leave...I spent 14 years working in IMU, there's a lot of memories in every corner ...i remembered those days we celebrated CNY together, having lunch together, and back to those days where IMU is no where like what we have now. There's only 3 staffs for pharmacy faculty, and the open concept office is real OPEN as in there's only table and chair...not even cubicles. People that walked in will thought that I'm jus PA for someone. And then slowly, we grew together... more staffs, more course.. I would like to thank IMU for giving me a chance to take up a lots of high post in IMU...and also thanks to all my colleague for working with me so long and giving me a lot of supports and helps along the way..I know speech should be like mini skirt...the shortest the best...." (laughs and applause from the floor) " I would like to thank everyone for giving me this small yet warm farewell...at first i thought wanted to leave quietly but IMU insisted for this farewell...and yes.. I appreciate it a lot. Thank you especially to Mai Chun Wai for organizing this. Left one old mak , we have a new mak in imu (same chinese surname). Hopefully this young Mak can contribute to IMU too...Thank you everyone..." speech ended with not only applause but also lotsa gratitude , thankfulness and heavy heart.
We clapped not because how good his speech was, but how much had he sacrifice for students, staffs, colleague and IMU.
He worked quietly behind ....without noticing anyone...without hoping for anything in return. Yes, he might not recognise his student well, but we will never forget how he left his footprint in our life.

I was sitting far back from the stage, seeing this old man, standing on the stage, with his hair all white, some wrinkles here and there over his face, yet still energetic. Every strand of white hair and wrinkles symbolised his path for his past 70 years. Yes, we might not be all of his life, but we definately marked a pit stop...a colorful pit stop on his life.

I try to recall all his good and bad.... and all I can remember was how funny he used to be while he was giving lecture, how responsible he can be when it comes to tutoring...and to my own surprises...i remember only his GOOD....

Our gratitude to Dr Mak can never be replaced by only presents, or slides, or speeches...
But we sincerely wishes him all GOOD....
healthy, happy, cheerful , relax....

Life doesn;t end with separation nor farewell but it brings hope for another reunion....

Before i left...I saw Dr Mak was happily smiling...and having photographing sessions with his students, with his friends....Deep inside I know is heavy hearted for him to say goodbye....but he replaced tears with smiles...waving with hugging....

Yes, we too...will farewell you with Smile..
Goodbye ~

No comments: